Mangalore (pronounced maengalor ; Tulu: Kudla, Kannada: Mangaluru; Konkani: Kodial, Beary: Maikala) is the chief port city of the Indian state of Karnataka. Bounded by the Arabian Sea and the Western Ghat mountain ranges, Mangalore is the administrative headquarters of the Dakshina Kannada (formerly South Canara) district in southwestern Karnataka.
Mangalore derives its name from the local Hindu deity Mangaladevi. It developed as a port on the Arabian Sea – remaining, to this day, a major port of India. Lying on the backwaters of the Netravati and Gurupura rivers, Mangalore is often used as a staging point for sea traffic along the Malabar Coast. The city has a tropical climate and lies on the path of the Arabian Sea branch of the South-West monsoons. Mangalore’s port handles 75% of India’s coffee exports and the bulk of the nation’s cashew exports.
How to go to Mangalore?
Mangalore International Airport , at Bajpe, about 20 km from the city centre. Currently there are daily flights to Mumbai, Bangalore, Goa, Kochi and Calicut in the domestic segment and weekly/bi-weekly flights to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat (Oman), Doha (Qatar), Kuwait and Bahrain in the international segment.
Filghts: Air India, Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, and Air India Express currently operate flights to Mangalore.
Mangalore has two big railway stations.
- Mangalore Central (IR station code : MAQ) is located at Hampankatta, in the heart of the city. It is a terminus and is used only by the trains which terminate at Mangalore.
- Mangalore Junction (IR station code : MAJN) is situated in Kankanady, about 5 km from the city centre. Most long-distance trains and all trains not terminating at Mangalore stop at this station.
I prefer the Private BUS ‘s or the Train cause you can enjoy the Konkan Greenary and Lots more!!
How to get around in Mangalore?
I prefer the CELL ONE private pre-paid cabs. They are much more reasonable and the drivers are very friendly!!
Yummy Ice Creams !!!!
Ideals @ Hampankatta. There are three parlours (2 ideals, proximity located 200 metres of one another. One is located near the Milgres junction and the other one is near the next junction heading towards the market) 3rd one Pabba’s, at Lalbagh diagonally facing Saibeen Complex . Ideals is marked as one of the best ice cream in DK, when you are in mangalore this is a must try place. You have to try out “GADBAD” ice cream which is only available in Ideals and the best of all ice creams. Gadbad icecream is an old favorite which has dry fruits and fresh ones chopped up with nuts, layered with icecream (strawberry and vanilla) and topped off with Jello. Hot favorites are “CHOCOLATE DAD” and “TIRAMISU“.
If your one of the HIGH SPIRITS then !!!
The Liquid Lounge (Balmatta Road – the general youth hangout!) : Good music, good ambiance, good beer!
Lets be on the Safer Side!!
Three things will do more to prevent an upset stomach or other traveling aliments than anything else:
- Always choose water from filters (Aquaguard water) or bottled mineral water, just to be on the safe side.
- Carrying water free hand sanitizer is a must (Germ-X, Purell, etc.) Go ahead and eat with your hands like everyone else! Once you use your hand sanitizer your hands are cleaner than the silverware that was washed with water you don’t want to drink.
- Always choose foods that are steaming hot. Food is often prepared ahead of time so you want to see it cooked or see the steam coming of the food.
Best Churches !!!
- St. Lawrence Church (A place of Miracle)
Attur North P.O. – 576 117
Karkala Taluk, Udupi District
- St. Aloysious, Milagris
- Mangalore is a port city and the headquarters of Dakshina Kannada district in the coastal region of Karnataka State in India.
- Mangalore is the gateway to Karnataka.
- It is one of the five talukas (other than Bantwal, Puttur, Sullia, Belthangady taluks) of the Dakshina Kannada District. This District formerly had 8 talukas, but these were split in August 1997 and the remaining talukas, namely Udupi, Kundapur and Karkala then formed a part of the Udupi district,but there is no division found in the living of two cities.